Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 20:04:45 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card

Chuck Robey writes:
> Can anyone translate from the CARDS list of chips in
> /sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS to at least ONE real sound card that's still
> being sold, that I can buy?  (recoomendations like a GUS card, that
> isn't being sold anymore, fall into the useless category).

I researched things too hard and bought an AOpen AW37 not-Pro. Largely
because the Crystal Semiconductor parts were highly recommended and I
was impressed with the .pdf manuals at the CS site. The chip/card
claims an 85 dB signal to noise ratio too.

And it just doesn't work under FreeBSD. Its like the DAC is configured
in the wrong mode or something. I beat on the driver a bit but never
figured it out. Believe there is some initialization code that isn't
being done quite the way the CS docs say. The replacement I hacked in
didn't fix it either. Of course it works under NT, but that's not what
I bought it for.

Several months ago was walking thru a 'puter show having only seen a $2
fan worth buying when at one table I saw some cheap sound cards. $14
each. One had a chip recognizable as Yamaha 719F. That was the latest
cheap chip I'd heard of on this list that worked well and reliably with
Luigi's driver. So I splurged.

The Windows utilities on the CDROM require a serial number to enable.
No serial number on the box or card works. But the drivers worked.

And it works like a charm under FreeBSD too. Certainly doesn't have the
S/N ratio of the AOpen card as I have had to turn off my AR Powered
Partner speakers when I'm not looking to make FreeBSD noise. Its been a
long time since I've booted into NT, but I think the NT driver was
doing something to mute the speakers when not in use.

This weekend is another one of the travelling salesman computer
"shows". I might go and buy some $5 speakers to solve my noisy sound
card problem.  :-)