Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:32:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User-PPP Different in 2.2.6-Beta?

Hi,

I (last weekend) cvsupped the whole deal using the cvsupit package (very
nice!), made world, recompiled the kernel, etc.  I didn't change my PPP
configuration files (I'll post them, if requested), but ppp -auto seems to
work differently, and I'm having difficulty tracking down why.  Has the
behavior of PPP changed since 2.2.5-R?  Here's what I mean by different:

With the stock PPP that comes with 2.2.5R, i put a script in the startup
script directory (forget what it is off hand and I'm away from my FreeBSD
computer) that does "ppp -auto -alias pmdemand".  When booting (which I do
fairly frequently because it's a home computer) the ppp daemon would start
and display a few messages, but it didn't dial right away.  It would
patiently wait for packets to come to the tun0 device like I expected.
Now, with the 2.2.6-B version from last weekend and no change in the
ppp.conf and ppp.linkup files, ppp dials when it is first run during
bootup.  This causes the bootup to stop while the connection is being
made.  The other odd occurance is that it also dials when I login as root
(it didn't do that before either).

I guess what I'm asking is... What may have changed with ppp from 2.2.5R
to 2.2.6B (Mar 20-ish) that would cause this kind of behavior?  Does it
add routes differently that would cause tun0 to catch packets in more
situations?

I like the earlier behavior better, less obtrusive.  I'd appreciate any
clues anyone could give me.  Thanks in advance!

- Peter Schwenk - schwenk@voicenet.com