Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 02:52:27 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers (fwd)

> One reason that it can't be used in some instances is that it currently
> provides no mechanism (that I've found) with which to disable ip-address
> negotiation. Specific examples which will always fail are connections to a
> box running any KA9Q variant (there are lots) and a Telebit NetBlazer. The
> latter component that this machine talks to is configured to reject any
> negotiation .. I do not know if that can be changed.

?? What do you mean "disable a ip-address negotiation" ?
I guss you want specify ip address of your side/ both of them !?

If so, I will show you my-home and my-office user-mode ppp setup
as follows...

 ... for my side...
 set ifaddr 202.32.13.200/24 202.32.13.1/24
 add 0 255.255.255.0 202.32.13.1
 ... for office
 set ifaddr 202.32.13.1/24 202.32.13.200/24

> In both instances, the user-mode ppp apparently decides that it can't
> confirm the address used by the other end and drops the connection on the
> floor. In contrast, "pppd -ip .." works every time,

Please remember. The ppp protocol has no difference between
out(client)/in(server) for handshaking. Another words, it's
negotiation base on same stands. So if you wan't specifiy
(forcely setup) peer ip address, a peer needs to accept your
offer! (i.e set ifaddr 0 202.32.13.200/24). It's same syntax
of pppd, don't it?

> 	michael

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341