Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:37:51 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

--WVcfhm8etalM241m2BXSojjB63ibD9HFC

On 2014-07-17 14:25, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> [...]
 /
> Silicon Valley.
>=20
> What I am seeing is the following usage pattern for new developers,
> especially for web apps and cloud applications.
>=20
> (1)   On their desktop/laptop, they will generally be using
>        a Mac running OS X.  This is their desktop Unix environment.
>        This seems to be true of almost 90% of the people that I meet.
>        The 10% of people who run a PC laptop, will mostly be running
>         Windows.  Very few seem to run Linux on their laptops, but
>        if they do, it will likely be Ubuntu Linux.
>=20
> (2)  For their deployed application, generally they will deploy to
>       a Linux environment on a server.  These days, the server will
>       very likely be in a cloud environment:  Amazon, Rackspace,
>       Heroku.
>=20
>=20
> For (1), encouraging people to move away from a Mac to FreeBSD for thei=
> desktop environment is a tough sell.  Apple is a multi-billion dollar
> company, and they make beautiful hardware, and software with
> a fantastic end-user experience.  The PC-BSD project is fighting the
> good fight in terms of making a usable FreeBSD desktop, but its
> a touch battle to fight.
>=20
> For (2), encouraging people to move away from Linux to FreeBSD
> on the server, may be something where we can get more wins.
> I think we can do this by having more HOWTO articles on
> the FreeBSD web page that explain the following:
>=20
>=20
>     (1)  We need a HOWTO article that explains for each command using a=
pt
> or yum for installing packages,
>           how can I do the same thing using "pkg".
>           Even if we have a web page with a table, contrasting the
>           apt/yum commands, and pkg commands, that would be super
>           useful.
>=20
>           A lot of folks have moved away from FreeBSD, purely because
>           they are sick of pkg_add.  We need to explain to folks that
>           we have something better, that is quite competitive to
>           apt/yum, and it is easy to use.
>=20
>      (2)  We need a HOWTO article that explains how to set up
>            a FreeBSD environment with some of the major cloud providers=
,
>            i.e. Amazon, Rackspace, Microsoft Azure, etc.
>=20
>=20
> Do we have such articles today, or is anybody working on something
> like that?
>=20
> I think if we had these two HOWTO articles today, and we could
> aggressively point people at them, this would be a huge win
> for expanding the number of people who try out FreeBSD

That is definitely something I am interested in. I think there is
definitely an advantage to compiling these at freebsd.org rather than on
individual sites all around the net.

Deploy Wordpress
Deploy Drupal
Deploy Django
etc

Plus the more generalized stuff you mentioned. Quick guides and tables
to 'this is how you do that on FreeBSD' for translating linux instruction=
s.

--=20
Allan Jude