Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:46:08 UT
From:      d.wylie@hccnet.nl
To:        stephane@laperouse.internatif.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X freezes my Sony Vaio PCG-F801

--_----------=_1071128768206437

My Compaq Presario 1600 also freezes with the trident driver and XFree 4.3.0. and any 5.x. Was ok under 4.8, don't remember the XFree version.
Try "vesa" instead of "trident" and I think you'll be fine. I don't know the extent of speed disadvantages of vesa versus trident.
There've several disccusions concerning freezing trident systems, but I've never heard of a real solution yet. I'm just using the vesa driver for now, cvsup-ing often hoping for some-one to fix it.
Also check the XFree site for know bugs. There are a few concerning trident. oh, running at 24bit color depth works fine here.
I (and others, obviously) would much appreciate a _real_ solution.

Dylan