Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:34:20 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        kwm@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libxcb 1.8

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> wrote=
:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 22:17:30 +0100
> Sebastian Chmielewski <chmiels@o2.pl> wrote:
>
>> 2012/1/25 Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
>>
>> > This is a note that updating libxcb from xorg-dev to 1.8 killed my
>> > client-side X. Every client using libxcb hangs on start, eating
>> > 100% CPU in the poll(2) loop. Downgrading to 1.7 fixed the issue.
>> >
>> > Not much useful, but I hope to get less mail after the notice.
>> >

>> I have the same issue. Rebuilding libxcb, xcb-util didn't help.
>
> I experienced the same roughly a week ago, and reported it on the xorg
> mailing list (xorg@lists.x.org). =A0Reverting to 1.7 was absolutely
> necessary. =A0I considered for a while upgrading every port that depended
> on libxcb, but according to pkg_info, that came out to be roughly 750+
> packages(!). =A0No thank you. =A0:-)

pkg_info may list 750+ ports, but that includes both build depends
(which really need to be re-built) and run-time depends which just
link to the .so and don't. Install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and use
'pkg_libchk -o' to get a list of the ports that REALLY need
rebuilding. It's probably only a dozen or less as libxcb is typically
only used by linking to the .so.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com