Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:21:55 +0000
From:      Jason Mann <jason-freebsdlists@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hme driver acting strangely

I have further information on this issue now.

I've just fitted a Sun qfe card to the machine, and the 4 ports are detected
as hme2 thru hme5.

This card does appear to negotiate full-duplex mode with the switch, and my
services can still listen on udp ports on that interface when it is in this
mode.

If I try forcing full-duplex, the problem comes back.

So, to summarise:

- Old hme's won't auto negotiate, confirming Tom's comment. Only way to get
  them in full-duplex mode is to force it.

- New hme's/qfe's DO auto negotiate, so theres no need to force them to
  full-duplex.

- Any time you force full-duplex on an hme driven interface, udp ports
  can't be listened on.

So, it's not a problem for me anymore, but theres still something odd going
on.

Regards,

Jason