Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:17:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <Brian_Beattie@Atlas.com>
To:        Grimm <grimm@shell.pgonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering from disaster...

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Grimm wrote:

> Booting into single-user mode doesn't help much either. I can't mount
> /usr, for instance. I'm scared to use fsck, because it trashed my drive
> under similar circumstances before.

I would suspect that fsck did not trash your drive, but that it was
already trashed.  My suggestion would be to fsck it, if you are
considering reinstalling anyway you have nothing to lose.

> Do I need to reinstall, wiping the drive, or can I actually recover from
> this gracefully?

fsck is you best bet for gracefull recovery.

Brian Beattie
Atlas PrePaid Services
Brian_Beattie@atlas.com
503.228.1400x4355