Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:13:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS_EXTATTR(_AUTOSTART) broken on 6.0-BETA5

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> On Thursday, 22. September 2005 01:35, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>> On Thursday, 22. September 2005 01:13, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> ad0: 76351MB <SAMSUNG SV8004H QR100-12> at ata0-master UDMA100
>>> acd0: DVDROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-103S 0115/E1.15> at
>>> ata1-master UDM
>>> A33
>>> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>>> panic: lockmgr: unknown locktype request 0
>
> Has anyone had time to look into this yet? It would be really nice if
> could keep using ACLs on this machine, but I do not have the means to
> make a full backup and convert the filesystems to UFS2 (where I suppose
> this problem doesn't exist).

I know that Christian has been looking into this.  My initial reading
based on a quick skim was that the life cycle of early vnodes in file
system mount had changed as a result of the VFS locking work, but
Christian has indicated to me that the bug isn't reproduceable 100% of
boots for him, and that Jeff felt this might reflect a race.  Does this
panic occur for you every boot?  If you set debug.mpsavevfs=0 in
loader.conf, does that make any difference?

I may have the opportunity to work on this this weekend, but not entirely
clear.  If Christian is already running with it, I'd much rather let him
take this one on as I have a lot of other things on my plate.

Robert N M Watson