Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:23:50 -0300
From:      Daniel Molina Wegener <dmw@coder.cl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does getc(3) use the read(2) syscall?

--nextPart4926493.zaeND525Xq

On Wednesday 03 February 2010,
Stefan Midjich <swehack@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble looking this function up in the source tree, the trail
> seems to end at __sys_read which has a bunch of prototypes but i can't fi=
nd
> the actual function code.

  Well, you can try cscope --- IMO the best option to
search for symbols in the source tree. Also you have
well done front-ends like cbrowser, codelite and emacs
plus cscope mode.

>=20
> So my question is primarily, does getc use the read system call eventuall=
y?

  No, certainly not. Take a look on stdio.h and libc
implementation on lib/libc/stdio/getc.c. Mainly on the
__sgetc(f) macro.

>=20
> But i would also love it if someone could show me where __sys_read is
> defined.

  Take a look on the architecture specific file SYS.h,
that's a kind of macro. For example at the i386 file:
lib/libc/i386/SYS.h

>=20
> Thanks in advance for any information!
>=20

Best regards,
=2D-=20
| Daniel Molina <dmw [at] coder [dot] cl> |
| IT Consulting & Software Development    |
| Phone: +56 2 9790277 | http://coder.cl/ |