Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:13:53 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        "Nataraj Dasgupta" <xbsd@hotmail.com>, <dburr@pobox.com>, <dick@dgriffin.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: get data from crashed harddisk?????

We seem to be going in circles....see below.

I have no doubt that it worked for you because you were able to 'mount'
the drive (in M$ terminology).  The problem with crashed unix drives is
that you _cannot_ mount them in the first place.

> Windows proves
> to be a problem, perhaps  (yes, PERHAPS) , you could make the hdd a
> secondary ide on an unix box itself. Indeed, it will involve
> some tinkering
> with the config files, but if you could just get it to mount,

We know what you're trying to say, but mounting it _IS_ the problem ->if
the drive could have been mounted, then this discussion would never have
eventuated... <grin>

> you would be
> able to retrieve the data.

Regards