Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:26:01 -0800
From:      Iyer Mahadevan <iyer@internetdevices.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG, iyer@internetdevices.com, saurabh@internetdevices.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Socket IO problems using Java Sockets on FreeBSD

I noticed some serious performance problems with Java Socket I/O.

I set up en echo server that echoes the request back to the client.
I found that there were serious performance problems when data was being

written to the socket and read at the other end

133 MH 64 MB
FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE

Request read time  = Time request read by server  - Time request sent by
client
Reply read time     = Time reply read by client  - Time reply sent by
server
Total time             = Time received reply  - Time connected to server

     Server            Client                Request read
time                Reply read time      Total Time

     C                   C
194                                    2                           200
     Java
400
     Java               Java
191                                   199                        400

Next I decided to take a look at the corresponding performance on a
Sparc 4

70 MH 64 MB
SunOS Release 5.4

     Server            Client                Request read
time                Reply read time      Total Time

     C                   C
41                                    49                           98
     Java
103
     Java               Java
44                                     46                         111

Note:

1. I took 5 samples for each case
2. Both client and server were running on the same machine (used
localhost to connect)

Questions

1. Do you understand why the socket I/O is twice as expensive on FreeBSD
for
   (C  Server - C Client)
2. Do you understand why the socket I/O is 4 times as expensive on
FreeBSD for
   (Java Server - C Client)

PS : Let me know if you need any code, any generic Java/C socket code
should do