Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:10:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WANTED: login on a FreeBSD/PowerPC system for toolchain work

Michael Dexter writes:

 > I recently donated a G4 to gallatin. Is this machine working and can
 > it serve this purpose?

Actually, you didn't donate it to me, you donated it to the FreeBSD
Foundation.  It was accepted with the intent of being installed in a
development cluster so all developers could access it.  Apparently
space is at a premium in the main colo, and we can only place
rack-mount boxes there, so it was decided to install it at the RTP
cluster.

Since I live 2 miles from the RTP cluster, I accepted the donation,
spent a weekend installing FreeBSD on it, and bought a g-port serial
console port and mini-din -> db9 adapter for it with my own money.
After FreeBSD was installed, I carried it to the RTP cluster where it
was physically placed in the rack and powered on by the rtp cluster
admins. Its name is "scratch":

It crashed at some point, and the rtp cluster admins who have physical
access to the machine have been unresponsive.  Unfortunately, I do not
have physical access to the hardware, so the most I can do is ask for it
to be rebooted.

I'm upset at the situation, and I'm begninning to wish the
machine had just been shipped to David...

Drew