Date:      Thu, 19 May 2016 08:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What changes are welcome?

K. Macy wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to start contributing to the base system, but I need
> > clarification on what sort of changes would be welcome.
> >
> > I thought I'd start on simple compiler warnings.  The top code in
> > /contrib/top, for example uses K&R-style function definitions and
> > implicit return types that spews -Wimplicit-int and -Wreturn-type
> > warnings.
> >
> > While I'm silencing those, is it appropriate for me to make the file
> > follow style(9)?

Also, please note the following paragraph in style(9):

    In general code can be consider "new code" when it makes up about 50%
    or more of the file(s) involved. This is enough to break precedents in
    the existing code and use the current style(9)guidelines.

Given this, I (others will disagree;-) wouldn't make style(9) changes that
aren't required to fix the code unless you are re-writing a large part of
the code.

I'll also note that /contrib may not be a good place to start, since I think
(not sure about userland) code in there is often taken from some upstream
location and any changes done locally must be merged with upstream stuff
each time it is updated. (I have no idea if /contrib/top is actually handled
this way.)

And, yes, as K. Macy noted, committers are pretty well all volunteers who
work in certain areas of the code, so changes to some part of it they don't
work in will probably be ignored unless it fixes something important.
(For example, no one has recently been working on fuse. Since I am now using
 it, I have been coming up with some patches. I have not yet found anyone
 willing to review them, so I've been committing them without review.
 This is allowed in FreeBSD, but since fuse isn't my area of expertise,
 reviews would have been nice.)

Most people start working on ports and become committers there and then
src committers later. Btw, if you are interested in doing testing and
review of fuse changes, you could email me.

rick