Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2011 23:16:07 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe hang at Xorg startup.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.co=
> wrote:

> Another DRI-related freeze ...
>
> ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe hangs at the
> startup of the Xorg with DRI enabled. Hard freeze, the Power Button
> does not bring the system down. I could only use the Reset Button.
>
> % uname -a
> FreeBSD localhost.test 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
> Jan  3 17:29:21 EET 2011
> root@localhost.test:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAREK  i386
>
> An older Radeon R200 on an Intel 945PRN worked OK running the same FreeBS=
> release. This older Radeon, when plugged in the ASUS P5K, hits the same
> hard freeze (I actually moved the hard drive and the video card from
> that Intel 945PRM to the ASUS P5K).
>
> This ASUS board has two PCI-E alots, so I tried a different slot,
> no success. As another exercise, I forced a separate IRQ to the video
> card using "hw.pci0.2.0.INTA.irq=3D3" loader tunable (based on the
> $PIR table). With this separate irq, still no luck, not sure if I should
> try it at all, since the card gets an MSI any way.
>
> I also tried a trick with forcing the libthr.so.3 linking into the Xorg
> binary, discussed a year ago at:
>
>  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009362.html
>
> I built the xorg-server with the HAL support, no luck.
>
> As a side note, each test of the Xorg was done on a newly started-up
> system,
> that is no previous "successful" X session took place.
>
> Since no Xorg.log.0 in such cases was normally available, I have collecte=
> output from /var/log/messages. Because of the "hw.dri.0.debug: 1", the
> output is quite huge, here are a couple of cases:
>

> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/196=
0.tgz

> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/199=
1.tgz

> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/323=
8.tgz

> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/323=
9.tgz

> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/324=
9.tgz

> Additional info:
>
> % devinfo -rv:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/dev=
info-rv.tgz

> % pciconf -lvc
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/pci=
conf-lvc.tgz

> The output of dmesg:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/dme=
sg.tgz

> The Xorg configuration:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/xor=
g.conf.tgz

> I am aware that some video card + motherboard ensembles have issues
> [...]

There is the following list :

http://www.asus.com/websites/global/aboutasus/OS/Linux.pdf

The mother board P5K Deluxe does not appear in that list . It means that it
is not tested and listed for Linux ( which is an indicator about usability
by Unix like operating systems ) .

Also there is no any such name among  =C2=A8All products=C2=A8 list about M=
ain boards
:

http://www.asus.com/AllProducts.aspx?PG_ID=3DmKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

The following board ( if your board is exactly that one )
P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP( exact match of names is very important ) is for only XP
and Vista :

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=3D0e9NyGEDLjtBRtyB

If name of your board is exactly

P5K Deluxe
these are different from each other ( in the sense that , if one is working
with a Unix-like operating system , it does not make a guaranty that the
other will work ( Please see the above Linux.pdf list and products in All
Products list for similar sounding names )) .

It could not be possible to see your dmesg because access to
sites.google.com is prohibited in Turkey .

To test your main board , you may install one of the Linux (  Asus is using
Ubuntu , RedHat , SuSe , Fedora ) distributions . If it works well , this
may mean that FreeBSD
related driver(s) has(have) problems .

My expectation is that FreeBSD or any Linux will NOT work satisfactorily on
that board
because it is mainly produced for Windows means some circuits are not
suitable for Unix-like operating systems . It may work for a while but it i=
very likely that , at some point it will crash ( from my personal experienc=
from another board ).

It is not clear from you message that whether FreeBSD is installed in that
board , or an installed hard disk in another board is moved to that board .
If previously installed hard disk moved without new install in the new main
board ( I think , this is not the case ), it will surely not work .

( If the above links do not work , please access directly to Asus site and
follow links in their pages . )

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk