Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:11:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        luigi@iet.unipi.it
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, dburr@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdd port permanently "broken"?

The port of cdd (/usr/ports/audio/cdd) has been marked as broken for FreeBSD
versions 4.x and higher for quite some time now.  What exactly would it take to
get it to work again?

I used to use cdd on my old machine before it died, and it did a beautiful job
of ripping audio on ATAPI drives.  I've been using dagrab since getting a new
machine and upgrading to FreeBSD 4.x, but the quality of the rips sometimes
just isn't there (pops, crackles, etc.).  Maybe I just need to tweak some parms
in dagrab, but I never had any such problems with cdd.  It did perfect rips
every time with a minimum of muss and fuss.

Also, this ties in to the ripit-atapi port, which depends on cdd (so shouldn't
it also be marked as broken for the time being?).  Cdd, in combination with just
about any MP3 encoder (I had modified my own copy of ripit.pl to use gogo --
talk about fast!) was a simply splendid method for ripping audio on ATAPI
drives, and I would love to see it come back.

Unfortunately, I'm not clued in enough as to why it (cdd) is broken in the first
place (something to do with CAM and SCSI), nor how to go about fixing it.  Is
this simply not possible?  If that be the case, then it really should be
removed from the ports collection, and the ripit-atapi package modified to use
some other audio grabber instead.

I would be happy to try my hand at "fixing" cdd, if someone could give me some
pointers as to where the problem areas are specifically.  As it is, I'm
completely at a loss as to where to even begin.

Conrad, pining for fast, simple, and *correct* audio ripping <sigh>

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/