Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 08:53:10 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

>  I think you just nailed the problem here. It requires a prohibitive
>amount of effort to support modex video modes given the return. What I am
>thinking about is removing the 320x240 mode (since it is impossibly
>difficult to deal with)...no one is using it now so no one would be
>affected. I would also like to add a comment into one of the source files
>indicating why we have chosen not to support unchained VGA modes (ie.
>"modex" modes) so that we can prevent this question from arising again in
>the future.
>  On a slightly related note, I am currently in the process of developing
>patches to add more useful "tweaked" modes to the video driver:
>  graphics 720x480, 16 colors   (90x30 8x16 character cells)
>  graphics 256x256, 256 colors  (32x32 8x8 character cells)
>  graphics 296x220, 256 colors  (37x27 8x8 character cells)
>  text 90x25, 90x30, 90x43, 90x50, 90x60
>
>  The patches will also update vidcontrol to allow selecting any of the
>modes.

Please have a look at my latest syscons update patch:

        http://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/syscons-update.17May.tar.gz

It includes 90-column text mode patch you previously submitted (PR:
i386/7510)!

>  I listed the character cell sizes I picked for the graphics
>modes...which brings me to an interesting question: how come we pick a
>single character cell size for video modes? For video modes 640x480 or
>more it would be nice to select what size the character cells are (for
>example, selecting an 8x8 cell size rather than 8x16 to double the number
>of characters which could be written).

Um, I have not advertised this before, but...  Syscons in 3.X and
4.0-CURRENT already can do this not only for the VESA 800x600 mode but
also for certain other video modes.

>  I'm not really sure what practical use there is for using graphics modes
>to render text (and hence why character cell sizes for graphics modes
>would even be used). But currently syscons can do it from VESA 800x600
>(syscons renders the text). Presumably, though, if it is useful, there
>isn't anything preventing the implementation from being extended to all
>graphics modes (except for modex that is...but I'm now of the impression
>that should be axed). Finally, with syscons having the ability to render
>text fonts in graphics modes, shouldn't we be able to redefine the notion
>of character cell size for graphics modes to be the default character cell
>size and allow any available text font be used to render text in graphics
>modes?

Yes, it can be extended to support all graphics modes (except mode X
:-).  But, how useful will it be?  The VESA 800x600 raster text mode
was a kludge for some laptop systems, so it was justifiable.  But, how
about others?  1024x768 mode can contain only 128 columns if we are to
use 8-dot wide font.  This is not as good as 132 column text modes
provided by VESA.

Kazu