Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:26:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak or reporting problem in 2.2-960501-SNAP?

>     True, but the partitioning of memory is different, and that's what
> I'm interested in.  I just rebooted our Web/FTP server.  Here's the
> header from 'top', again with about 60 httpd's and 10 ftpd's running:
>
> load averages:   0.41,  0.42,  0.28                                   21:07:47
> 103 processes: 1 running, 102 sleeping
> Cpu states:  5.3% user,  0.0% nice, 12.9% system,  8.3% interrupt, 73.5% idle
> Mem: 61M Active, 1536K Inact, 19M Wired, 22M Cache, 6413K Buf, 25M Free
> Swap: 262M Total, 4000K Used, 258M Free, 2% Inuse
>
>     This intuitively looks more "correct" than the 91M active I saw
> earlier, under similar load.  I generally ignore the amount of cache
> reported, since it grows and shrinks with the amount of otherwise free
> memory.

I think I know what is happening now, the pageout daemon is necessary for
the statistics that you are talking about to be meaningful.   There is
really no mechanism to show what is happening.  The pages are placed
onto the cache queue by the pageout daemon (or the vfs_bio) when memory
is in short supply.  Pages normally cycled through the buffer cache
or when processes exit are left on the active queue.  The "excessive"
active queue numbers shouldn't clog up your system or anything evil
like that.  When you want to get a reasonable snapshot of your memory
for a very short while, and the system will reach an equilibrium with
short term accurate statistics.

John