Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:39:55 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fatal trap 12 in arpintr in FreeBSD 4.0-Release

As I mentioned the other day, after installing FreeBSD 4.0-Release
I started getting random spontaneous reboots while in X (after running
FreeBSD 3.4-Release for 2 months without any problems).  Now that I've
started debugging my driver, I enabled DDB, and now instead of
rebooting I'm crashing into DDB (when my driver isn't loaded)...
(I'm also crashing with my driver, but that's another story :)

I left my machine sit at the console login prompt over the weekend,
and today found it had crashed into DDB, showing a "Fatal trap 12:
page fault while in kernel mode", which happened at arpintr+0x9C.
And I'm fairly sure this is exactly the same trap I saw a couple
of times since enabling DDB.

I'm completely new to using DDB, but a "trace" showed that arpintr
was called from swi_net_next, which was called from Xresume11 (??),
the trace then shows "--- interrupt", having been called from
default_halt().  Oh, and the "current process" was "Idle".
(Is Xresume11 part of X-Windows??)  Just to be clear: X was *not*
running, this was a console login prompt, and no "user programs"
were running in the background.

Does this make sense to anyone?  I've seen some other reports of
"spontaneous reboots" with 4.0 on the -stable list - perhaps this
is the cause for those people as well?  As I said, I'm new to
debugging on BSD, so if the above isn't sufficient info for someone
familiar with the code to find the problem, give me explicit
instructions and maybe I can provide more info...

Gary