Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hundreds of sockets stuck in TIME_WAIT

:I noticed on a very high traffic'd webserver, I have just over 4000 sockets
:stuck in the TIME_WAIT state.  Ideally, I want to "bend" the RFC a bit and
:close the descriptor before it hits that state, or, ignore the 2MSL wait
:when it enters that state.
:
:I take it there is no sysctl switch to trigger this, so, am I going
:kernel diving?
:
:-Dan

    Just ignore them, that's what we do.  They should not start to
    impact on performance until you hit at least 15000 sockets.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>