Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        cau@cc.gatech.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Philips CDD2000 CD-R works as HP-4020i

> 1) can I use it as a CD reader, by putting in a standard CDROM ?
>    mount refuses to work on character devices as /dev/rworm0,
>    and worm.c has no reference to a block device. I tried
>
>        vnconfig /dev/vn0c /dev/rworm0
>
>    but with no luck

I think Jordan answered this one; essentially no for now.  I used
to keep my old SCSI CD-ROM unit around, but at this moment I'm
having to boot from a different kernel (GENERIC should work) that
doesn't recognize this as a worm device.

> 2) after making the appropriate changes to burncd.sh, I tried to use
>    the writer in "dummy" mode, with a CDROM instead of a writable disk
>    inside. No luck either, since I get a couple of 'illegal command'
>    messages (but perhaps this is just because the writer wants to see a
>    writable disk instead ?)

I have a few ideas about this:

That's how I did it at first, test in dummy mode, then burning.  You
probably have the same thing for the script as I do, but here's
the relevant parts that were used to test:

        echo -n "Place CD in the worm drive now and press return: "
        read junk
        scsi -f /dev/rworm0.ctl -c "0 0 0 0 0 0" >/dev/null 2>&1
        wormcontrol select HP 4020i
        wormcontrol prepdisk double dummy
        wormcontrol track data
        rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 < $1 | dd of=/dev/rworm0 obs=20k
        wormcontrol fixate 1

That was from my "testcd" script; the only difference from the
burncd.sh script was adding dummy to the second wormcontrol line.  You
can leave the quirks as "HP 4020i", and I think "Philiips CDD2000"
should also work (that's what I sent to Joerg).  I can send you the
diffs too if you need that.

Most likely, I think, is that it the CDD2000 will not test with a
CD-ROM in there (you may need a blank CD-R).  I didn't try to
do the dummy on a CD-ROM, used a CD-R instead.  When in dummy
mode, the write light will blink alternating between
yellow/orange and green.  When in burn mode it stays
yellow/orange the entire time.

Last thing I can think of is that I'm using firmware version
1.26.  It's available via Philips' web site; one of the places to
get it would be http://www-us.philips.com:80/pkm/laseroptics/cdr/
but there are mirrors elsewhere.

Let me know if there's something else I can do.

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2