Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:28:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quotaon -a (probably bug)

"Christopher J. Umina" <FJU@Fritzilldo.com> wrote:
>    Whenever I type quotaon -a /usr my server stops responding...  Why =
>is that? Is there any type of resolution to this problem?
I came across this problem too with recent stable but I would guess it's
older.

Some operations with quotas made syncer kernel subprocess to hang in ckqt2
(as found by ps efl - maybe a bit different function, sorry I don't
remember). Any process which tries to access disk get stuck in inode and
can't be killed even with -9.

Unforunately I don't remember what was the exact sentence of commands I
did before everything seems to work. I know I run edquota, quotaon,
checkquota and may be something else and after two (or 3) restarts (with
frozen syncer - system wouldn't even reboot (waits 60 second for syncer to
finish then it seems it's going to reboot but never does and hard
reset is needed) it started to work. It might be that the reason was
nonexistent quota.user and quota.group files.

--
Michal Mertl
mime@traveller.cz