Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:55:52 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: desktop selection on sysinstall and available packages in CD-ROM

* Yoshihiko SARUMARU <mistral@imasy.or.jp> [010330 13:45]:
> I think this is not a new problem, but I think this is still a problem.

> The sysinstall can select user's desktop on installation....
> ...But not all of those packages are put into installation CD-ROM,
> typically ISO-IMAGE on /pub/FreeBSD/releases/*/ISO-IMAGES/.

> > Package fvwm-1.24r read successfully - waiting for pkg_add(1)

It bit me during the install of 4.0, but that was the last time I used a CD.
It looked to my untrained eye (back in the mists of, ooh, last June)
like the installer had locked up.

One answer could be to modify the sysinstall config on those ISOs to hold a
reduced list of packages
(or at least provide a popup warning for missing packages, indicating a
URL to the 'ports' part of the Handbook online).

Although that's a lot of work so clsoe to a release.
Maybe something in the README in the ISO directory of the ftp server
mentioning this would be enough?

--
Rasputin -  Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns
"That boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver"