Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:45:43 -0600
From:      Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware recommendation

Robert Huff wrote:
> 	I'd like to replace it with a _reliable_ (the old one lasted 10+
> years at moderate loads) consumer-grade SATA II or higher drive of at
> least 500 gbytes.
> 	Any particular product lines getting consistantly good reviews?

For 500 GB I would use a RAID pair of Samsung 800 series EVO SSDs.
Actually have used them exactly that size.  Be aware of the new
Samsung QVO series which has a complex behavior.

    https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2022-April/000964.html

Backblaze publishes their failure rates on disk drives.

    https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Their latest blog.

    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q1-2022/

I RAID everything so that a single drive failure won't cause an
immediate failure.  Which means that I am concerned about issues that
specifically affect RAID.  Beware of recent changes to error control!

    https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Timeout_Mismatch

On a personal note I just had a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar at 11+ years of
continuous duty fail.  The sibling disk at 106367 hours is still
running!  Those were the best drives!  More recently I have been
having good luck with Toshiba in the lower single digit ranges such as
the 4TB N300 NAS drives.  Western Digital CMR drives have also been
good but beware of SMR.

    https://blog.westerndigital.com/dmsmr-device-managed-shingled-magnetic-recording/

Bob