Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 14:42:19 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@atlanta.glenayre.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        "Helmut F. Wirth" <hfwirth@eunet.at>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross development of m68k programs on FreeBSD works!

And to tack on my $.02 :)

We've gotten crossm68k working here and will make the port submission in a few minutes.

Our solution to gas is pretty simple, (and seems to be necessary for m68k)...

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --target=${TARGET} --with-gnu-as

When using this option, a symlinked crosstree-1.4 won't work for us, as it causes gcc to
look in ../gas for as.new  --  It was necessary to create a 'real' crosstree directory.

Currently we do this using tar (with -h option) in a pre-configure step, pending public
release of crosstree-1.4.  This approach takes a *lot* of disk space to say the least...
Perhaps this could be done with hard links, but I had the disk space to burn and very
little time.  Maybe next update :)

It seems to me that this should work for other cross development targets.

Wondering if anyone knows the status of gdb-4.17?  Presently, we use gdb-4.16 and a simple
patch to make it "work" with the other libs.

All of this has been lightly tested with some of our other software here.  I would greatly
appreciate any feedback.

--

We're off working on a stub to facilitate remote debugging with Applied Microsystems
ES-1800 in-circuit emulators.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhicks@atlanta.glenayre.com