Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 11:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "John H." <johnh@mt.arias.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation Problems

On Mon, 11 May 1998, John H. wrote:

Why are you installing everything? That's a LOT of source that you are
probably going to dump anyway and start grabbing via cvsup.

> -CDROM:  I burned a CD with the entire FreeBSD directory structure.
> (\FreeBSD\2.2.6-RELEASE).  While booting, FreeBSD recognized my CDROM,
> but failed to install from the CDROM and I get an error message stating
> that the CD in the drive is either not a FreeBSD CD or is an older one
> and if I was sure if I wanted to use it.  After hitting "Yes" it comes
> up with the error that it couldn't extract the distributions.

I bet you burned it wrong.  bin\ and the dist dirs should be on the top
level of the CD.  I'd suggest just buying the WC one and get it right the
first time :)

> -FTP: I copied FreeBSD to a Linux directory on my other computer to
> where it would be available for FTP installation, and that actually
> worked to a point.  It came up with an error about 15 minutes into the
> installation that it couldn't install the SCONTRIB distribution and if I
> wanted to try again (to which I had no luck).

scontrib?  Sounds like part of the sources.  Make sure you copied it right
and aren't running out of diskspace.  Hit ALT-F2 for info.

> -DOS:  Tried installing it from a DOS partition, but it came up with the
> error "Couldn't extract the distributions..."  Perhaps it's looking for
> it in a different directory?

Probably.

> --Packard Bell 120MHz (overdrive from Intel) with 16MB of RAM, Western
> Digital HD (2.5Gb) Seagate HD (520 MB), Mitsumi 8X CDROM, Yamaha sound
> card and a Linksys 10BaseT Ethernet card.

What disk are you installing to, and how big is the FreeBSD slice?

> -- Intel Pentium 166MMX with 48MB of RAM, Western Digital HD (4.5Gb),
> Maxtor HD (520MB), Creative Labs 8X CDROM, Sound Blaster 64 AWE Sound
> Card, and also a Linksys 10BaseT Ethernet card.
>
> ** Both systems run Windows 95 OSR 1, and Linux 2.0.33.

You're running out of diskspace.  Source for X and FreeBSD is easily 400
megs, probably more.