Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:55:36 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

Gary W. Swearingen writes:
 > David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> writes:
 >
 > > The math doesn't favor your chosen approach.
 >
 > I guess I'm not expressing myself well enough; I knew everything you
 > said (but thanks anyway -- really) and my chosen approach is working
 > (well enough, at least).  But it wasn't easy to do or to learn to do.

You are trying to solve the wrong problem with the wrong tools.

 > That "math" is imposed by the design of the FreeBSD (and probably most
 > every other OS) networking software, and is not imposed by Internet
 > standards, because the Internet standards need only cover the data
 > flowing through my DSL router's internal port. (Actually, even further
 > upstream than that if my ISP was accommodating.)

You are attempting to use a BROADCAST network (Ethernet) to solve a
point-to-point networking problem.  THIS WILL NOT WORK.

Your problem has NOTHING to do with IP.  Your problem is entirely rooted
in your fundamental misunderstanding of what is and isn't possible to do
with ETHERNET networks.

 > All (?) I'm saying is that handing out small blocks of IPs for a small
 > number of computers is a common situation and I doubt that many care
 > whether their local networks are Internet standards compliant as long
 > as they can look like they are to the Internet (which I know they could
 > with modified software).  The software should be doing the kludging,
 > not the small-time SAs.  (Easier said than done, of course; but not
 > very I suppose, and not compared with all the SA effort devoted it.)

It is trivial to use point-to-point networking technology to allow
people to publish small groups of IP addresses and keep their private
networks entirely separate from the Internet as a whole.  That is NOT
what you are attempting to do.  You apparantly feel that you should be
able to pervert a BROADCAST network into acting like a POINT-TO-POINT
network.  If you want point-to-point, invest in the appropriate
technology.  Since you have chosen to invest in broadcast networking
hardware, you must live within the limitations imposed by the physical
networking architecture.

Your problems have nothing whatsoever to do with Internet standards and
everything to do with your inability to separate physical layer
protocols from network layer protocols.

/Joe