Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:42:17 -0300
From:      "Alexandre Biancalana" <biancalana@gmail.com>
To:        "Dominic Marks" <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6-Stable High Interrupt Rate on network

On 9/28/06, Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:57:22 -0300
> "Alexandre Biancalana" <biancalana@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> >    Today I changed the main gateway from our network from PIII 733, 512
> MB
> > Ram running FreeBSD 4-STABLE to a Xeon 3.0, 1Gb Ram running FreeBSD
> > 6-STABLE. But the performance of the network is worst than before.
>
> How are you measuring the performance?

I'm looking at some links usage...  I know that you could argue that this is
not consistent but these links have a very constant usage and today, after
the change they have a utilization that is 20% lower than usual.

My big doubt is why the new machine (that is A LOT better than the old)
spend more than 50% off cpu time on interrupts when the old just arrived on
60% at "rush-time"

>   The new machine is a Dell PowerEdge 1800 have one quad DLink DFE-580TX,
> > one quad Adaptec ANA-62044 and one on board Intel em. I enabled the
> polling
> > on all interfaces, set the HZ to 1000 and set kern.polling.user_frac=30,
> but
> > this does not happened.
>
> What else is the machine doing, firewall, nat, traffic
> shaping, proxy?

PF+NAT+Squid+Qmail+Clamav+zebedee for 4 networks and about 600 users total.