Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2022 20:15:21 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        infoomatic <infoomatic@gmx.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware recommendation

=EF=BB=BF
> On 28. Jun 2022, at 19:40, infoomatic <infoomatic@gmx.at> wrote:
> =EF=BB=BF>On 28.06.22 19:21, Robert Huff wrote
>> A disk drive on one of my machines is dying.
>> I'd like to replace it with a _reliable_ (the old one lasted 10+
>> years at moderate loads) consumer-grade SATA II or higher drive of at
>> least 500 gbytes.
>=20
> In the light of the link to backblaze, my mail seems quite useless ... I

Hi,

no, your reply is _not_ useless.

1.
All tests and user experiences are useless, since a disk drive product line d=
oes change without notice all the times. Exceptions are general pointers suc=
h as yours related to CMR vs SMR or HDD vs SSD.

> have had great experience with WD red with conventional magnet recording
> - be warned my number of disks I can compare is much lower ;-) However,
> I would go with a prosumer/enterprise-grade SSD.

2.
Your reply is useful for two reasons.
2.1
For backups I=E2=80=99m using Toshiba P300 drives. Those are cheaper than th=
e WD red, but the colour is red, too :D. My dealer sells two versions of the=
 same product line. One with the CMR and the other with the SMR recording te=
chnology. Take an educated guess of which version the P300 are I bought. IOW=
 +1 for CMR.
2.2
In my machine I=E2=80=98m using the cheapest SATA SSDs that are available wi=
th vendor software running on Linux. I don=CB=8Bt know how compatible or inc=
ompatible the Linux software is with FreeBSD. They last probably longer than=
 desktop HDDs, since some of mine are already quite old and still healthy. T=
oshiba/OCZ/Kioxia currently named Kioxia. A SATA Kioxia 960GB SSD is around 8=
5,- =E2=82=AC. So the second +1 for SSD.

Just my 2 Cents,
Ralf