Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:35:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Srinivas V." <srini@CS.Arizona.EDU>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problems with pkg_add

Hello

I recently setup a system with FreeBSD 4.5. I've been trying to install
the packages autoconf and automake on it. I downloaded the packages from a
freebsd ftp site. when i used pkg_add, i get the following error:

# pkg_add autoconf-2.53_1.tgz

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: child returned status 1
tar: +CONTENTS not found in archive
pkg_add: unable to open table of contents file `+CONTENTS' - not a package?
#

I get a similar error when I try installing the automake package too. The
files do seem to be valid compressed files. when i use the file command i
get:

# file autoconf-2.53_1.tgz
autoconf-2.53_1.tgz: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Fri
Feb 21 08:23:11 2003, max compression, os: Unix
#

I downloaded the files twice, in case I had downloaded a corrupted version
the first time.

Any suggestions ??

     Thanx

    srinivas