Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 16:50:59 +0900
From:      Tomoaki NISHIYAMA <tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:12:05 -0700

jkh> I have seen a lot of arguing about technical merits and decisions made
jkh> by the core team, but I have yet to see any constructive comments
jkh> about fixing the communication problems which led to this decision.

I think the best way to fix the communication problem
is to discuss on the technical merits, to understand
what you think and to make you understand what we think.
If the explanation of the code is too short ask questions
what is not understood.

jkh>   Evaluating technology is a
jkh> question of deciding which code is both superior AND has the best
jkh> longevity, longevity being a more difficult equation which combines
jkh> the history of the developers involved and how effective your
jkh> communications with them are.  In this case, I don't believe
jkh> communications are effective and that kills newconfig just as
jkh> thoroughly as having the code be a total mess; I think I've pointed
jkh> this out several times now.

Yes, longevity is an important thing. But it is not only the matter
of communication, but it depends on the fundamental design, and on what
principle the code is written. Once you understand the fundamental
design and the principle it is based on, you will be able to
develop them further. Thus we want you understand the design and
principle of newconfig, through the code and discussion.
You can decide to merge them after understanding the principle.
It's not a good idea to reject something without understanding,
as to merge something without understanding.
--------
Tomoaki Nishiyama
  e-mail:tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
         Department of Biological Sciences,
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo