Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:46:33 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: galeon2

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:14:13 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> In general, a portupgrade -fa should take care of everything.

Yes, this works, but it typically takes about a day and, if I have  not
updated recently, I will likely have some failures. It took me three
days to completely rebuild everything on my old 450 MHz K6-3 system,
and that STILL did not do the trick. I ended up doing:
find /usr/local -ctime +5 > local-old.log
find /usr/X11R6/ -ctime +5 > X11-old.log
which showed me a lot of old cruft. Once I deleted all the junk,
everything finally built correctly. But that took two more days.

portupgrade(8) is a wonderful tool, but it seems to work best if you
update fairly often. I have few issues on my laptop which I update every
few days at the longest and often every day. My old K6 system only gets
updates every two or three months and it often is far more difficult to
keep happy.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)