Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 00:28:56 -0600
From:      Jim Fleming <JimFleming@unety.net>
To:        "'Jordan K. Hubbard'" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Check IP Version

Jordan,

I am starting to develop a substantialliy modified version of the IP protocol.
As specified in the IP protocol the ip_v (IP Version) field of the IP header
should be set to 4. (see /usr/src/sys/netinet/ip.h)

It is not desirable for new versions of IP to "break" existing code. I have not
provide this but in studying the SLIP code I see that there is never really
a check done to see of the IP header is of version 4.

The TCP header is checked as follows...

Line 557 of /usr/src/sys/net/if_sl.c

	if ((ip = mtod(m, struct ip *))->ip_p == IPPROTO_TCP) {

I suggest that you might want to change this to...

	if ((ip = mtod(m, struct ip *))->ip_v == IPVERSION) && (ip->ip_p == IPPROTO_TCP)) {

...just to make sure...

By the way...I think PPP is OK...I will keep looking...

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.

e-mail: JimFleming@unety.net