Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 06:57:35 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

On Thu, September 28, 1995 at 08:51:58 (+0100), Christoph Kukulies wrote:

	First, thanks for the info...

 > I'm running an Epson Stylus color (with a hacked gs2.6.1 under FreeBSD
 > 2.0.5) and it works like a charm. I have two test printouts
 > escher.ps and colorcirc.ps sticking at the wall and they look fine.

	What's the "hacked" refer to?  Will gs262 do this out of the box or
is there some driver you added?  If there is, what is its public
availability?

 > A bit a problem is the color trueness (dithering method) and I
 > don't see any way to manipulate this other than digging into
 > the drivers dithering method.

	Yeah, that makes sense.  If you hear of any improved driver, please
let me know - I'd like to integrate it if possible, as I think I'll now
grab this printer... :-)

 > > Also, how easy was the printer to setup with freebsd, and can you use its
 > > highest dpi mode?  Thanks for any pointers, recommendations, and help in
 > > advance!

 > Once you are familar with lpr setup it's an easy task.

	I kind of figured.  I know BSD lpr/lpd stuff pretty well...

 > eps|epson-postscript|EPSON Stylus COLOR PostScript:\
 > 	:lp=/dev/lpt1:\
 > 	:sd=/var/spool/eps:\
 > 	:sh:\
 > 	:of=/usr/local/bin/gseps:\
 > 	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
 > 	:mx#0:

 > /usr/local/bin/gseps:

 > #!/bin/sh
 > /usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=escp2cfs2 -r360 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -

	I'd probably end up using apsfilter so that I could just do a plain
old lpr and it would autodetect both ps and dvi input.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM              | Network Administration and Software Development