Date:      07 May 2000 02:19:38 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

 * From: Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>

(This part from Kris)
 * > There may be a couple of ports which could be moved from other categories,
 * > but we certainly don't have many. My concern is when someone does submit
 * > the first (e.g.) physics port, where does it go? Into an inappropriate
 * > category like chemistry, or another inappropriate category like misc?

Well, misc is never inappropriate for something that doesn't fit in
other categories.  By definition. :]

Anyway, I get your point.  I can create "science" if people want it.
(We *do* have at least one or two ports to put there, right?)

 * It occurred to me that "science" or "scientific" might not be the best
 * name for this directory....  Albeit a bit long, "physicalsciences" or
 * something like that might be a little more descriptive for the topics on
 * hand, while "dumbsciences" would have subdirs such as "political", etc.

Well, those are usually called "natural sciences" and "social
sciences" if you want to get technical.  The college where I did my
undergrad (the University of Tokyo) had this "everything has to be
some kind of science" mentaility, so all classes (other than PE) were
either classified in either natural sciences, social sciences or
humanities (called "humanity sciences" in Japanese).

But I digress.  I think we all know what "science" means in general
terms.  Just like in elementary school.  Is that ok?  (Hmm, does that
mean that mathematics is not science...?)

Satoshi