Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:22:01 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hasty@star-gate.com
Subject:   Re:  Video stuff...

>  Walking around Fry's in Palo Alto, Ca., saw a cool demostration of Jazz
>  Jakarta put out by Jazz Multimedia located in Santa Clara, Ca. (408) ???
>  It has an mpeg option and the ability to display an NTSC signal on your
>  VGA or just put out an NTSC siginal.  The video output on the VGA looks almost
>  as good as the display on the TV. Going to try to contact them tomorrow to see
>  if they are Net friendly.

see the april edition of the "Computer Shopper" for reviews of MPEG players.
the Jazz was in there with several others. I can't remember what CS though
of the Jazz.

be carefull what you buy. there are a lot of tricks that are played to
keep up with the video stream, suchas memory mapping directly into the
video space (which is fine for DOS), some limit the image size to
cut down on pixels, some use only 8 bit color (buy 24 bit if you want to
keep the card for a while also the 8 bit colormaps have to be dynamically
built for the image if your card does not do this automagically, more work
for the driver -- FreeBSD has a Cortex driver that is greyscale because
that is how the colormap was loaded), the new trend in MPEG I cards is the
DOS/Windows AVI standand that moves some of the work into the accellerated
video card.

We at NDSU have some money earmarked for a video capture card for conferencing.
I would like a PCI based card that has 24 bit MPEG I support. I am afraid the
there will be a problem in  prying the information out of the manufactures
to drive a publically available driver.

video is the place to be.

--mark.