Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:58:01 -0500
From:      "Jay Oliver" <kythorn@scorched.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to manage "packages" after installation, that were installed DURING installation

I can only speak for using sysinstall for the actual installation, booting
off CD.  I have not used it to install anything after I had completed
installation, I was using the ports system for that.  After I installed (And
I installed a _lot_ of packages during installation, I was curious, and this
is just an experimental machine), the only package in /var/db/pkg, pkg_info,
or pkg_version, was linux_base, and I believe I may have installed that in
the post installation process of sysinstall.  There was _nothing_ else
listed.  However, I can attest that I have many other things installed.  The
core XFree 3.3.6 distribution package, all manner of Xservers, all the
packages from the games distribution set, etc, TCL8.2.3, ncftp-2.4.3, bash
2.03, ZSH, sshd, python, the list goes on and on and on.  There are too many
installed packages for me to believe it's a flaw in the packages themselves,
rather I think the problem may stem from the usage of these "Distribution
Sets".  Upon installation, I merely hit "All" when it asked me what
distribution sets I wanted, and I believe that in and of itself may be the
problem.  Going in and installing a package from the menu option under
"Distributions", which is "Packages" lets me install the same packages, and
they register themselves fine.  If there is any other information I could
provide to be useful, I will be glad to do so.  This was a 3.4-RELEASE
install, off the ISO image available on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org

The only problem I have with this, is I'm unable to see what easily versions
of packages I have installed, and I have no automated, centralized way to
remove them whatsoever.  If I did something wrong in installation, please
advise me of so, maybe I should pick no "distribution sets" at all, and
install only the packages I desire?

Also, reinstalling the same packages I _already_ have installed, gets them
registered.  As I said, I think this is some problem with packages not
registering during install process, or using distribution sets option.  I
may be wrong, thats just the trend I'm noticing.

- Jay Oliver