Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:37:55 +0200
From:      Wouter de Boer <wouter.de.boer@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to get networked

Hallo,

The situation:

One computer with an installed FreeBSD 21.7 RELEASE version. This
computer is running as stand-alone server. Installed network card 3com
509 (ep0 driver).

I conneted this computer with another computer with a clean harddisk and
also one network card. Same as above.

The main computer has a cdrom drive with the 2.1.7 RELEASE cdrom. I have
made a 2.1.7 boot floppy for my new computer and boot from that floppy.
The next step is to transfer the data from the main computer to the new
computer.

from the install menu I select (sorry) the novice installation.

- the harddisk will be partionated
- the several part od freebsd will be created
- the next step is select installation media
- I select ftp
- choose my own URL
- the installation program ask me to fill in a adress:

ftp://Amigo/cdrom

- setup the network interface information

	I choose ep0

- The next step is to fill in the Network configuration:

my questions:

Host: the hostname of the the main computer (Amigo.Leek) or a new
hostname

It is filled in with Amigo.Leek so I think it is the host of the main
computer

Domaim: idem

Filled in with Leek

Gateway: what to fill in, must I change something in my main computer ??

I do nothing

Name server: idem

I do nothing

Configuration for interface ep0

IP Address:

192.168.3.1 (IP Address of my main computer)

Netmask:

255.255.255.0 (idem)

Extra configuration:

I do nothing

First I see a warning about I don't have fille in a gateway, but I don't
know what to do with gateway.

After that I see a message:

Couldn't open FTP connection to Amigo. And the installation fails.

So can anybody tell me how to install FreeBSD from my new computer using
a connection to my main computer ?? Must I change something in my main
computer (gateway) ?? Has anybody this also done ?? Is this possible to
do this ?? Sorry to tell but this is my first time using a network, so I
think I install FreeBSD using the network, but I can't do it now.

I hope anyone can help me out,

	Wouter