Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2015 00:15:13 +0200
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Haswel / i915 experimental test result

--w3iPtb9C6EjcsVa1Fs9udfCcak5ee7ePn

Do you have the directory /boot/kernel.i915 with the experimental kernel =
files in it? That directory must exist before /boot/loader can boot the e=
xperimental kernel from it.

If you do
# nextboot -k kernel.i915
# reboot

as root, then /boot/loader should boot kernel from /boot/kernel.i915/kern=
el -file after next reboot.

The "nextboot -k <kernel>" -command simply writes a "hint file" in /boot =
-directory, which overrides the default kernel path for /boot/loader.

If these instructions do not help, then problem is that I just have no id=
ea how a PC-BSD system has been set up. I don't use PC-BSD or even ZFS my=
self. I only use base FreeBSD 10.2 with UEFI (which does not require inst=
allation of any stage0 and/or stage1 bootcode, only a 900k partition with=
 specific type GUID and the file /boot/boot1.efifat written as partition =
contents with dd) or a standard gpt setup (with /boot/pmbr as stage0 and =
/boot/gptboot as stage1).

I've heard PC-BSD uses GRUB in some way. Is it possible that GRUB loads t=
he /boot/kernel directly? If it does, then it does NOT care about the nex=
tboot hint file at all, unlike /boot/loader. IF (and only IF) GRUB loads =
the system kernel image directly from boot partition (emphasis on _direct=
ly_), then you need to somehow configure GRUB to offer a boot menu item f=
or the specific kernel. Unfortunately I cannot remember how GRUB is confi=
gured since it been a decade since I last time had to bother configuring =
GRUB.=20

You could also ask in PC-BSD forums something like "how do I boot a custo=
m kernel built in /boot/<kernel_name>" ...