Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:08:07 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still no XFree86-4

At 11:14 AM +0200 7/20/02, John Angelmo wrote:
>Well here's my latest XFree86-4 build errors, I made a clean
>build uninstalled XFree-4, perl and so on but still I get
>these errors

This is something of a run-on sentence, and it does not make it
clear what *exactly* you did.

In my case, I first cvsup'ed my /usr/src tree, and did a buildworld
and installworld to make sure I had the latest fixes to gcc.

I then did a /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall for imake and
all pieces of XFree86-4.  I do not have anything else X-ish (such
as Gnome or KDE), so at that point I should have had an empty
/usr/X11R6 directory.  I did not, so I removed everything that
was left over in that directory.

I then cvsup'ed my entire ports collection, to make sure I had
the latest snapshot of all the ports.  In fact, in my case I first
*removed* all of the files from /usr/ports/devel/imake and
/usr/ports/x*/XFree84-4*, but I only had to do that because I
had a lot of left-over patch files around from my earlier attempts
to get X installed.  And then I cvsup'ed the ports collection.

I installed the perl port.  I then did the command
      use.perl port
which gets the system so it will consistently use the version of
perl which I had just installed.

I then installed imake-4.
I then installed XFree86-4.
In my case (a week or so ago), I ran into a problem were Wraphelp.c
did not end up where it needed to be.  That problem may be fixed by
now, but at the time I just copied that file to where it needed to
be, finished building and installing that port, and then went back
to installing XFree86-4 (the "meta-port").

Other than the problem with Wraphelp.c, everything compiled OK and
seems to be working OK.

I know it is frustrating when you keep trying to build this and it
keeps failing, certainly I was frustrated when I could not build it
for a few weeks.  But I do think that the XFree86-4 ports are now
working correctly, even on -current.

>make: don't know how to make /usr/X11R6/bin/ucs2any.pl. Stop
>*** Error code 2

This program ("/usr/X11R6/bin/ucs2any.pl") should have been installed
by the port XFree86-clients-4.2.0_2