Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 10:08:28 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aztec Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16

Hi all,
Just thought I'd post this for the archives.

I have a Aztec Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 card.

I was using just SB Pro emulation, but when I added my parallel port ZIP
drive, I
got noise every time I accessed the ZIP.
This is because the NX Pro 16 contains a Disney Sound Source / COVOX
Emulator which
sits on a 'virtual prallel port'. So, when you access the parallel port,
you get
noise.
It also interfeared with the ppbus PnP probing (preventing ppbus from
reporting my
HP Deskjet 660 printer).

I fixed the noise and the ppbus probe problems by doing the following

a) on the card, ensure the 'virtual parallel port' is set to 0x278.

b) I setup the following kernel config. Note the use of the __SGNXPRO__
definition
_and_ that there is both sb0 and mss0 definitions. After booting, only
the MSS
emulation works.

The kernel config is
############################
options __SGNXPRO__
controller snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 drq 1 conflicts

Audio should be access through /dev/audio1 /dev/mixer1 and /dev/dsp1
etc.
The FM music sequences is probably device 0 (I never tried it)

Bye
Roger

--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.