Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 10:05:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel-loadable Root Kits

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> On Sep 08, at 08:07 PM, Krzysztof Zaraska wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> >

> > But activity in /tmp is normal and will be ignored by tripwire, right?
>
> Tripwire's policy file can reflect nearly any level of Admin paranoia.
Ever seen an admin that would observe changes in /tmp on a daily basis?

> Who's the "we"? The FreeBSD project?
"We" was intended to mean "anyone involved in this discussion". If
you want to read it as "the FreeBSD community such as developers and
users" you may. I'm _not_ a FreeBSD project member and therefore
"we" cannot refer to the project.

> > Or, something LIDS-like.
> You're the second to mention LIDS. I know so little about it as to
> refrain from comment (like, why should I let that stop me now?). Based
> on another's description, it strikes me as rather over-engineered, but
> that's an ignorant opinion. Maybe it has to be.
Well. I heard about it once, went to their site, read the docs and run
away ;). Seriously, it seemed to offer interesting features but all the
complications scared me off.

> RedHat does seem more dependant on LKMs than FreeBSD and KLDs, at least
> out-of-the-box, so perhaps the modules are more of a security issue?
This is due to the way Linux bootloader works. The compressed kernel image
must fit within the first 640K of memory, so that imposes a limit on the
kernel size. Since they want plug-and-play they must have all the existing
drivers (save maybe video cards and the like) built. But taking into
account the kernel size limit they must be built as modules. FreeBSD also
has lots of drivers in the GENERIC kernel (for the similar reason) but
this system does not seem to have this kind of limitations.

IIRC they are some Linux drivers that _must_ be built as modules for some
reason (PPP-related stuff, I guess).

I hope this discussion won't end up with advocacy of FreeBSD's superiority
to Linux in the area of kernel modules.

BTW: is there a way to build linux.ko in the kernel? Or is it a must-be
module?

> > may be a similar situation in the future, that say some SuperHardware Inc.
> > releases it's new 10Gbit ethernet adapter giving away the compiled drivers
> > as modules and not releasing the source code nor the hardware
> > specifications. In this case you need module support, at least at boot
> > time.
>
> Or, wait for the more open-minded competition that'll be along shortly.
> :-)
When the device price is around USD10,000 I doubt the existence of
open-minded competition (I am not specifically referring to the
above example). Not to mention the situation the you need the
backward compatibility with some ancient proprietary hardware / software
your company bought years ago and the manufacturer went out of business.

OK, this is off topic. Just wanted to show that kernel modules may be
necessary.