Date:      Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:04:52 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun [VFFS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        Imri Zvik <imriz@co.zahav.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very busy syslog server

Clear enough.
em(4) should be able to handle this amount traffic without polling
unless all syslog
traffics come at the same time that could cause congested resource. That
is why I want you to run
the script to watch the CPU utilization when the drop happens. The
average CPU use does NOT
reflect sparkling issue.
If CPU utilization is lower than 60%, there is nothing to worry about
interrupt, recvspace, etc.
because CPU will have enough time to move data in and out. If you see
CPU utilization over 60%
and interrupt is also over 60%-80%, than interrupt coalescence or
polling needs to be considered.

At this moment, only one place with three conditions can cause such drop
(6.0-Release):
    --- see function sbappendaddr_locked() in kern/uipc_socket2.c
between line 934-942 ---
recvspace, asa->sa_len, and number of mbufs.
I doubt recvspace will be the problem since sending size (maxdgram) is
much smaller than
recvspace.
sa_len should not be the case unless we had bug in 6.0.
The last thing you may check is the mbufs -- type "netstat -m" to see
the statistics
on mbuf when drop happens. Since you have a lot of CPU time, try to run
the script I
mentioned to you and add "netstat -m" to the condition when drop count
increasing.
This should be a few minutes programming work, and run it for hours or a
day.
If you can get such info., we may know what is going on.

We may have a bug since I just reboot my 6.0 box and see numbers of UDP
drops, see below.

Belkin: netstat -p udp -s
udp:
        148 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        0 with no checksum
        63 dropped due to no socket
        20 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        0 not for hashed pcb
        65 delivered
        68 datagrams output
Belkin: netstat -p udp -s
udp:
        175 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        0 with no checksum
        69 dropped due to no socket
        35 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        0 not for hashed pcb
        71 delivered
        74 datagrams output