Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:23:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Neal Westfall <nwestfal@Vorlon.odc.net>
Cc:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No modules loaded message

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Neal Westfall wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Could someone explain to me what this message is trying to tell me:
> >
> > Jan 24 19:54:18 redbox smbd: no modules loaded for 'samba' service
> >
> > If it is samba problem then please disregard, however I get the feeling it
> > is coming from the OS, not samba.  What "service(s)" is/are being referred
> > to?  I'm about to go kernel hunting for anything similar to "modules" but I
> > am just giving it a shot in the dark.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matthew Hagerty
> > matthew@wolfepub.com
>
> It is PAM related.  I never could get samba 2.0 working properly. I
> had to drop back to 1.9.10.  If anyone has gotten samba 2.0 to work
> with unix passwords, I'd love to hear how they did it.

hack the configure script not to use PAM, or try editing:

include/config.h

and comment out the line: #define HAVE_PAM_AUTHENTICATE 1

then try it.

I've had the same problems with PAM except my problem was with KDE's 'kdm'
login program, it just flat out refused to read my PAM config files

'no service for 'xdm''

i even tried the /etc/pam.d/login , xdm , kde
directories, nothing helped so I finally gave up and recompiled without
PAM.

does anyone know why third party stuff doesn't seem to like FreeBSD's pam?

running ktrace on xdm was too annoying, i think i'll try it again to see
why it refuses to see my /etc/pam.d/ files.

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current