Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:15:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > I recently posted asking for opinions as to the desirability of making
> > the ISC DHCP tools part of the base system.  The response to this has
> > been positive so far, and unless there are subsequent strong objections
> > they will be imported contrib-style.
>
> 	I would suggest that you push back the import for a little while. Ted
> just announced on dhcp-client that he's planning a new release for
> probably this weekend.

Sounds good to me.

> Also, as much as I think that importing dhcp into
> the base is a necessary step, I have a concern that it will promptly
> become orphaned like (for example) xntpd and top. Please say it won't be
> so. :)

There are two parts to the maintaining of system components like this;
a developer willing to put in the time, and a group of users willing to
keep the pressure up.  In the case of the DHCP client, for example, I
can't keep up with the mailing list, but if someone (like you) does,
and pesters me/us every time an update becomes available, things will
work out just fine.

> > There are three basic approaches we can take to integrating DHCP
> > clienthood with FreeBSD:
> >
> >  1 Nothing.  Leave the tools and the manpages there for users that
> >    might feel brave and want to set it up themselves.  This doesn't win
> >    us much over the port, but results in the least change.
>
> 	This would actually be a minus in relation to the port since this
> dramatically increases the likelihood that it will be orphaned.

Sure.  I don't fancy it as an approach, but it's one that exists.

> >  2 Offer a simple choice between "traditional" static configuration, and
> >    "use DHCP" configuration.  Users with complex part-static part-DHCP
> >    configurations can use the DHCP client configuration file to achieve
> >    ultimate flexibility.  This results in the least surprise for
> >    existing users, but perhaps a slightly more convoluted
> >    implementation.
>
> 	I posted a proposal for some very simple rc.conf and rc.network changes
> that would make this almost painless several months ago and was told
> that implementing changes like that before xntpd was in the tree
> wouldn't be wise. If you're interested in a slightly modified version of
> my plan feel free to visit http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html. The
> system as it is now is closer to ready for this change than you might
> think. I would be happy to work with you (and whoever else is
> interested) on details of the implementation.

Thanks - I'll look at this and get back to you.

> >  3 Use the DHCP client for everything.  This will require a rethunk of
> >    the way that some configuration information is stored in /etc, in
> >    order to feed it to the DHCP client.  In effect, the DHCP client
> >    will become the sole point of configuration for IP address, default
> >    route, nameserver, etc. information.
> >    This will make things simpler and cleaner, but will also result in a
> >    break away from the "all information in one place" trend we have
> >    been trying to cleave to.
>
> 	Not necessarily... there are ways to achieve this goal but they all
> lean pretty far towards the database model that Jordan et al want for
> all of the configuration items and implementing half a solution now will
> only make the transition more difficult.

My feeling again.  But then my sympathies for that approach are well
known.

> > Another significant issue is that the DHCP client can be used to
> > retrieve nameserver details.  In order to put this information into use,
> > /etc/resolv.conf must be updated, requiring /etc/ to be writable.
>
> 	The symlink idea proposed as a solution for this seems like a good
> idea.

As an alternative, would it hurt overmuch to have the resolver look in
/var/dhcp/resolv.conf preferentially?  This would mean that no
administrative changes were required (making a symlink manually in /etc
would be a little ugly), the DHCP-acquired nameserver information would
simply overload the local config if it was present.

> > As
> > well, lease information is normally stored under /var (which is
> > normally expected to be writable, but often not as early as the DHCP
> > client might be running).
>
> 	I've never had a problem with this. Do people NFS mount /var?  What
> circumstances are you thinking of?

Diskless clients, where DHCP is often *extremely* useful.  In this
case, you want the DHCP client to do it stuff, but not write its
configuration out immediately.  Rather, it should wait until it gets a
signal (or just periodically try to save it, so that when /var arrives,
everything "just works").