Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 00:07:26 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 09:40:29PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > What task can you perform with config that you don't think you would
> > > be able to perform without config?
> >
> > Configure and compile the FreeBSD kernel
>
> OK...
>
> > without doing large changes compared to the present source.
>
> This is one of those sacred cows I was talking about...
>

> ELF is going to get us part way there, and it's a "large change
> relative to the current way things are".

Not in kernel terms.  It has impact in a relatively limited number of
places.

> The big issue here is *only* the boot blocks, since aggregation
> is a matter of "what is default in the kernel" and "what objects
> are linked into the 'installed' subdirectory from the 'available'
> subdirectory".

This is just plain wrong.  If you want to get rid of config, you got
to move the functions it presently handle somewhere else, and
eliminate the blocks to using pure aggregation one by one.

I gave you a list of about 10 things that have to be fixed before we
can get rid of config (or something else that basically do the
function of config, including separate compilation with differing
defines).

If you have some other way of handling those issues, that's fine - but
they have to be handled!  And believe me, I'd like to have a system
that didn't need config, too - I just don't believe it can happen
without somebody putting down a lot of work towards that end,
ruthlessly eliminating obstacle by obstacle.

Eivind.