Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:17:10 -0700
From:      "Keith Schmauss" <keith_schmauss@mailbolt.com>
To:        "Charles Kline" <ckline@rightcode.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware question

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:40:48 -0500, "Charles Kline"
<ckline@rightcode.net> said:
> Am I right in understanding that FreeBSD will NOT run on any old (ex PC
> hardware)?
>
> For example. I have a Gateway PC that I have been running Win2k on. I
> hate it. I want it to be a linux server. Can I use this hardware to run
> FreeBSD or do I need to find an old Sparc?
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

Hello in regrade to this question,, My present setup is old k5 266 64meg
PC i386 kind...very GEneric put together from bits & pieces of
other computer[s] found or salvage... I might say is works VERY Well!!
Not to start a fire here, but Windows-me will not stay very stable
on this machine,,the lock&reboot thing was getting old&boring fast w/
windows... my uptime?? geee days weeks nows, and running fine.

Will your Gateway PC works?? mmmm first you should knows the whats and
where in of what hardware that in this Gateway PC...
Then check out the FreeBSD manual to see if your hardware is supports
Mostly likely it it in the case of the Gateway PC, FReeBSD 4.7 RElease
will works fine and handy,,,,as always more onboard memory will always
help
your Gateway PC run better :)

Any Q?? ask me ...
Keith