Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:45:58 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        hw <hw@adminart.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware recommendation

> On 28 Jun 2022, at 20:24, hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On Tue, 2022-06-28 at 20:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> =EF=BB=BF
>>>=20
>>> In the light of the link to backblaze, my mail seems quite useless
>>> ... I
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> no, your reply is _not_ useless.
>=20
> Who are you to decide which replies are useless and which aren't?
>=20
>> 1.
>> All tests and user experiences are useless
>=20
> That's a useless reply --- because it's not true.

I'm a user with decades of experience.
You did not quote the hole sentence.

"All tests and user experiences are useless, since a disk drive product line=
 does change without notice all the times. Exceptions are general pointers s=
uch as yours related to CMR vs SMR or HDD vs SSD."

Specifications of drive foo from vendor bar change without notice. If each p=
erson from 1000 people are using 100 drives foo from vendor bar since 7 year=
s without ever running into an issue, it's pointless, since you can' get the=
 same drive anymore. An exception would be, if the 100000 drives were all bo=
ught  around a month ago and all of them failed after around 2 days.