Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 09:19:00 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Filip Lenaerts <filip@freeshell.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_5_4 panic

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> i've been experiencing kernel panics for over a year, but the frequency of
>>
>> it seems like everytime there is a small high cpu usage peak, the system
>> panics.  im totally unsure what is going on, and hopefully someone can

>> problem in the code or probably something else (hardware failure?).
>
> Sounds exactly like hardware failure to me.  It's too bad you waited a
> year to investigate this :-)

hi all,

tnx very much for reply, kris, stefan and thomas. i was also thinking/fearing for a hardware error.  the reason why i didn't investigate sooner is that over the past two years i was running 5.0-RC2 and after that followed current.  i always assumed that that could be the reason, but when i reverted a month ago to 5.4-RELEASE and now RELENG_5_4 aka stable, the problem stayed ... plus my kernel debugging skills are very limited - hence learned again :)

so HW failure.  now the only thing to do is convince our IT dep that it is broken and ask a new one.  the problem is that they only support windows and they go frantic when they see linux, let alone BSD :)  so the probably want to put the blame on the OS iso the HW.  wish me luck :)

tnx again guys!

filip

----
http://filip.freeshell.org