Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:07:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ARP questions

I'm going to take a crack at cleaning up arp(8), but I need hear some
specific answers from someone who's worked with the ARP subsystem:

1) What's the purpose of the sin_other field of a struct sockaddr_inarp
   (which is either set to 0 or SIN_PROXY)?

2) What's the difference between a "published" or "published (proxy only)"
   ARP table entry (as reported by arp(8))?

3) Should a proxy ARP entry be a host route (i.e. RTF_HOST is set) as I
   suspect, or a net route with a /32 netmask, as it strangely seemed to
   be for "published" entries before arp(8) broke in -STABLE? For either
   case, why?

4) If I want to perform proxy ARP on directly attached Ethernet network
   A for a host on directly attached Ethernet network B, do I actually
   need two ARP table entries--one "published (proxy only)" entry to allow
   for the proxying on network A, and another ordinary entry (which may
   in fact be automatically created through the normal ARP mechanism) to
   actually forward packets to the host on network B?

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji